My Journey Part 3 – Getting Sick, The Wedding

Tony and I got married on June 22, 1996. In the weeks, leading up to the wedding, I felt no better, no worse. Just the same symptoms – calling it mono – and hoping one day I would just wake up and come out of it. My friends and family were amazing at taking care of me and all the wedding details. I could never have done it without them. Days before the big day, I came down with a terrible sore throat with visible white patches. Back to the doctor (different doctor). It was some kind of throat infection and antibiotics were prescribed. Like I needed another ailment on top of what I already had.

My wedding pictures tell a beautiful story. We all looked good and the ceremony was amazing. Picture perfect. I don’t have many memories of that day. It was all a blur. I was dealing with “mono” (CFS), a throat infection and I choose to wear a beautiful, long sleeved dress that weighed a thousand pounds in JUNE! I was sick, exhausted, hot, my flowers and dress felt too heavy, my back and feet hurt, and my throat was ON FIRE! I was both blissfully happy and terribly miserable! Let me just pause here and say that I married the absolute love of my life. Tony is an amazing man. I am sure as you read my blog you will come to know him and realize what a gem he is. I knew without a doubt that I was marrying the right man for me. My doctor at one point thought my recent engagement might be the reason for my symptoms. He suggested maybe there was uncertainty/depression. Crazy man. This was the happiest and best day of my life. In spite of all the physical junk going on in my body and the blurry memories of the wedding day, I married my best friend and 15 years later he is still my best friend in all this world. I love him more than anything. God was gracious and provided three things that physically got me through that HUGE day – Tony, my mom, and adrenaline.

If you know anything about CFS, you know that if adrenaline has gotten you through a big, stressful moment, there will definitely be a crash. I didn’t know yet that I had CFS and was not expecting what was to follow. Tony and I didn’t have a lot of money so we planned a simple, relaxing honeymoon just chilling out in hotel rooms on our journey from PA (location of wedding) to GA (location of our new residence). Tony surprised me with tix to a Broadway show and we were going to spend 2 days in NYC. This was a dream of mine. I was thrilled, but we never made it to Broadway or NYC. The day after the wedding came the big CRASH. I don’t even think I can describe to you the events that happened. Too many little details some of which are very embarrassing. I became so sick, so weak, so pathetic, that my new husband had to physically carry me to the bathroom. My body just crashed. I pushed my body physically to get through the wedding and then it just revolted against me. Poor Tony. When he fell in love with me and asked me to be his wife, this was probably NOT what he had in mind. It got so bad at one point, we almost called an ambulance. We didn’t know what to do. It was bad. Really bad. We just kind of took it day by day and eventually made it home to our new home in GA.

There was no honeymoon. I’ve been married 15 years and still haven’t had a honeymoon. This is a testament to the fact that the foundation of a good, solid marriage doesn’t require an expensive wedding and elaborate honeymoon. My plan to make up for it was to take a big vacation on our 10th anniversary. Well, on our tenth anniversary we had a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and newborn twins. We never did take that trip! Maybe on the 25th….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s